The link between the Terme di Chianciano area and healthcare and wellness activities reflects longstanding traditions going back to ancient epochs. This is confirmed by Etruscan and Roman archaeological finds associated with the cult of waters (small sacred statues and votive reproductions of livers in stone and bronze).
There were prolonged conflicts over control of this part of the world, with the Ghibellines of Siena struggling against the Guelphs of Orvieto, who received the support of Florence. The thermal waters were first exploited in the 17th century. This came about (at a late time in history) following the establishment of greater political stability under the rule of the Grand Duke of Tuscany.
This brings us on to modern history. The first structures were built between 1915 and 1929. The Acqua Santa spring is in a rocky grotto under a hill. The water flows from a basin into 11 pipes and from there to ‘spouts’ or ‘spigots’ for distribution, in a large hall.
The park occupies an area of more than 7 hectares. It includes paths shaded by the greenery, amid old trees and flower beds. The park hosts the Salone Nervi hall, the Bar and Sala Ottagonale (octagonal room), an outdoor area for dances and music, an avenue for shoppers, the Terme Sensoriali facility and the Sala Fellini hall. At the entrance, by a fountain, we see two symbolic bronze peacocks dating back to the 18th century.